On Friday 31 December 2010 12:52:08 Peter Humphrey wrote:

> When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen I get a
> blinking cursor in the top-[left] of a blank screen. An emerge of
> nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
> is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
> because it was "in use".

Today I found that another display problem* had been fixed with an
upgrade of gtk+ to  version 2.22.1-r1. It had no effect on this problem
though. Nor did adding consolekit to the boot run level.

It looks as though the boot sequence is going wrong somehow, because
when I get my initial blank screen, if I then switch to a VT and restart
xdm, everything works as expected.

* This was to do with Firefox arrow buttons, as in the thread "[OT]
Firefox 3.6.12 problem?"

--
Rgds
Peter.          Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.