Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> writes:

> Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> My point was, if something changes and it no longer works, then we may
>>> all have to switch.  According to the website, nothing much is being
>>> done with the old grub.
>>>
>> What can change? We are stuck with a hardware spec from 30 years ago for
>> booting. That won't change any time soon.
>>

> File systems for one.  They do make new ones every once in a while.  '

At least in UNIX-like systems, one can always have a separate /boot in
ext2, and use other filesystem everywhere else. It makes a grub update
less urgent.

Also, if they change - again - the way hard drives are accessed, just
because some "oh, 8GiB is so big, no disk will ever be that large"
barrier was hit, people may need some fix to access a kernel which is
129 PiB away from the first block.

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg