On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:49:52 -0600, Dale wrote:

> > What can change? We are stuck with a hardware spec from 30 years ago
> > for booting. That won't change any time soon.
> >

> File systems for one.  They do make new ones every once in a while.  '

That's the one area ion which GRUB may need an update. Fortunately, it's
filesystem handling is modular.

> > That's completely different. HAL had to deal with varying hardware and
> > varying requirement of the software that wanted to interface with that
> > hardware.

> OK.  Hal has to deal with different hardware.  Doesn't grub work on
> different hardware too?

No. Hard disks are hard disks, BIOSes are BIOSes. If that changed, the
World would fall apart. That's why you can get a kernel panic if you
forgot to build your SATA controller's drivers into the kernel, but GRUB
quite happily loaded the same kernel from the same disk. Unlike the
operating system, it doesn't really care about the details of the
hardware.

> All computers are not the same.  We also don't
> know what will be out in a few years either.

We do, and it will be compatible with what we have now.

> I don't want to use grub2.  As I said, I'll switch when I know it is
> safe to do so or when the old grub stops working, whichever comes
> first. Grub does have to work with the BIOS but there is more to it
> than that. It has to work with the file systems too.

Yes, and that's it. When you want to boot from a BTRFS or ZFS filesystem,
GRUB will need patching, but that's about it. Remember, GRUB is a
very simple, one task tool, like a hammer. Unless someone invents helical
nails, it will continue to do its job forever[1].

[1] for reasonable values of forever.

--
Neil Bothwick

Love is grand. Divorce is a few grand more.