On Thu, March 24, 2011 7:37 am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:30, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 00:03, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

<snipped previous attempts>

> More update on my odyssey.
>
> I went back to HVM and reboot using the Install CD. I did a 'chroot'
> followed by 'rc-update add sshd default' and 'emerge iproute2' (forgot
> those two the first time). 'poweroff', went back to PV mode, and ...
>
> Yay! Now I can SSH into the VM. And indeed, memory usage is minimal
> (approx 28 MB).

As I read the first email, I was planning on asking if you can connect via
remote.

> But I still can't login via Xen's virtual console (hvc0). Same as
> before: Got the 'login:' prompt, but can't type anything.
>
> I'll try mucking around with the .config. I have a feeling I disabled
> one thing too many...

Before playing around with the kernel config further, I don't use
XenServer, but use the xen-stuff in portage instead. (My host runs Gentoo
as well)
In the configuration, I add the following to the kernel-parameters:
" xencons=tty "
Maybe a similar option will help you as well.

Otherwise, you could try checking the input-devices. Especially things
like keyboard/usb/hid/ps/...

Also, if you have further difficulty, the xen-users list might be a better
port of call as there are plenty of people there who use XenServer.