On Thu, March 24, 2011 9:20 am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 14:47, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
>>
>> <snipped previous attempts>
>>

>>> More update on my odyssey.
>>>
>>> I went back to HVM and reboot using the Install CD. I did a 'chroot'
>>> followed by 'rc-update add sshd default' and 'emerge iproute2' (forgot
>>> those two the first time). 'poweroff', went back to PV mode, and ...
>>>
>>> Yay! Now I can SSH into the VM. And indeed, memory usage is minimal
>>> (approx 28 MB).
>>
>> As I read the first email, I was planning on asking if you can connect
>> via
>> remote.
>>

> At first, I can't. But then I realized I forgot to do the 'rc-update
> add sshd default' step.
>
>>> But I still can't login via Xen's virtual console (hvc0). Same as
>>> before: Got the 'login:' prompt, but can't type anything.
>>>
>>> I'll try mucking around with the .config. I have a feeling I disabled
>>> one thing too many...
>>
>> Before playing around with the kernel config further, I don't use
>> XenServer, but use the xen-stuff in portage instead. (My host runs
>> Gentoo
>> as well)
>> In the configuration, I add the following to the kernel-parameters:
>> " xencons=tty "
>> Maybe a similar option will help you as well.
>>

> Hmmm... currently I set xencons=hvc0 (also in /etc/inittab, s/tty0/hvc0/)
>
> I'll see what happens if I return them to tty0.

Good luck there :)

>> Otherwise, you could try checking the input-devices. Especially things
>> like keyboard/usb/hid/ps/...
>>

> Let's see... I got the following checked:
>  -*- Generic input layer (needed for keyboard, mouse, ...)
>  < >   Support for memoryless force-feedback devices
>  < >   Polled input device skeleton
>  < >   Sparse keymap support library
>        *** Userland interfaces ***
>  -*-   Mouse interface
>  [*]     Provide legacy /dev/psaux device
>  (1024)  Horizontal screen resolution
>  (768)   Vertical screen resolution
>  < >   Joystick interface
>  <M>   Event interface
>  < >   Event debugging
>  <*>   Xen virtual keyboard and mouse support
>        *** Input Device Drivers ***
>  -*-   Keyboards  --->
>  [ ]   Mice  --->
>  [ ]   Joysticks/Gamepads  --->
>  [ ]   Tablets  --->
>  [ ]   Touchscreens  --->
>  [ ]   Miscellaneous devices  --->
>      Hardware I/O ports  --->
>
> Under keyboards, I only have:
> <M>   XT keyboard

Hmm... I don't use kernel-modules in my Xen domu's (All are PV). I wonder
if compiling them into the kernel might help.
Or, try loading the modules listed above and see if that helps. (Not sure
if you can see an immediate change though)

I have attached the .config for one of my domains. It also has support for
a passed-through sound-card. You won't need that part. :)

Please note, I do use the following kernel:
sys-kernel/xen-sources-2.6.34-r4

Which kernel are you using?

>> Also, if you have further difficulty, the xen-users list might be a
>> better
>> port of call as there are plenty of people there who use XenServer.
>
> Thanks for the pointer!
>
>> --
>> Joost Roeleveld
>>
>> PS. Not trying to send you away from this list :)
>>

> Heh, no misunderstanding here :)
>
> Anyways, when I'm successful in my endeavor, I'll sure to be sharing my
> tips.

That's always a good way to make people more happy to help :)

--
Joost