On 13/05/2011 5:00 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
Probably a dumb one, but...

I have /home, /usr and /var on separate partitions...

If I want to image my system prior to the update 'just in case'
something goes south, am I correct that all I need to worry about is /,
since /etc is located there?

In other words, is anything on /usr or /var touched during this update?

If you want to be reeaallyyy safe, and want an image and not a backup, grab the latest copy of SystemRescueCd, a couple of TB of usb external drive space, which is very cheap these days, and use partImage to grab a true image of your whole system. I started doing this recently and it's saved me once so far. Things "flew apart big time" for me recently, a disk failure, I rebooted into the rescue cd and hey presto, 30 minutes later, everything was good.

        Andrew