On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:47:59AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On last question/confirmation -
>
> There are a few updates other than just the baselayout/OpenRC updates
> pending... can I still emerge those now, prior to the baselayout update,
> like normal?

Yes, as long as they do not have a dependency on the newer baselayout or
openrc.

> On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
> could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
> emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
> without any problems, right?

I would not recommend doing this. The plan is to support
openrc/baselayout-2 as gentoo's default init system and deprecate
baselayout-1, which will eventually lead to things breaking if you are
still using baselayout-1.

William