I think that a lot of this argument hinges on the parallel drawn by
Holly above: "Surfing the Internet is a lot like walking down the
street" which is 'almost' correct.  Unlike your average street the
Internet is selectively transparent with regards to our movements.  This
is so because the Internet does not automatically and uniformally
provide information about everyone's presence and movements.  Anyone
walking down the street can see others and others can see them.  On the
Internet the same information needs to be gleaned and perhaps deciphered
using more than your average browser, mail client and IM.  It's not
automatic and unintentional for all participants, it presumes intent and
ability.  So, it's not exactly like walking down the street.

My angle/wish is simply this.  I find the Internet invaluable for
providing access to information.  I would like this access to remain
unimpeded and as free as possible.  I suggest that this can be so if no
one can monitor the type and content of information people seek in a
personally attributable way.  Furthermore, I would rather that people
had a choice of remaining totally anonymous in their search and
consumption of information and were in no way penalised for exercising
it (think of it in the context of being a citizen in a country with a
totalitarian regime and you'll get my drift).  I suspect that this
freedom to access is increasingly and gradually being reduced.
--
Regards,
Mick