Holly Bostick wrote:
> Michael Kintzios schreef:
>

>>Sharing our private information (i.e. our own browsing
>>trends) for profit without our consent is evidently not on
>

> This carries the assumption that "our own browsing trends" is, in fact,
> "private information", which I do not necessarily agree with.
>
> Surfing the Internet is a lot like walking down the street.
>
> You can see me. The fact of my existence is not private.
>
> Because you can physically see me, you know a lot of things about me
> already.
>
> 1. I am human.
>
> 2. I am female.
>
> 3. I am of childbearing age (you don't know my exact age, but you can
> see that I am older than 9 and younger than 50).
>
> 4. I am of African descent.
>
> 5. I am (for the purposes of this example), wearing a wedding ring, so I
> am or was in a committed relationship, most likely with a man.

How would you feel if a company bought lots of
too-small-to-be-readily-visible flying cameras (like the mosquito-cams
in the Dan Brown book Deception Point :-)) and followed you around
wherever you went (in these "public" places, which would certainly
include shops but not the bathroom...)? Without you being conscious of it?
Very useful to follow someone around to get their (window)shopping
habits, and almost certainly completely illegal. How are these different
(apart from legality)?
Cheers
Antoine