-original message-
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
From: Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com>
Date: 2011-07-04 23:30

>> How do you know it's the motherboard and not the PSU for instance?
>
>You're right, but I want HDMI and USB 3.0 so I figure I may as well
>switch the motherboard and then the PSU if the problem doesn't
>disappear.
>
>>> The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
>>> also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea.  The system is for
>>
>> HDMI is available on most (all?) modern graphics cards, not sure if
>> built-ins have them though... USB 3 cards are also available.
>
>Yeah, a video card and USB card would cost roughly the same as a new
>motherboard and the video card would be a new source of heat and/or
>noise.
>
>>> playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever.  If you're familiar
>>
>> Sounds like you want a "htpc" setup.
>
>I guess.  Gentoo has been playing my music, movies, and TV for many
>years now.  I use a wireless keyboard from the couch.  Just a normal
>xfce4 desktop.  It's great.
>
>>> with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
>>> as a motherboard and other components?  Any features a Gentoo'er
>>> should look for?
>>
>> Decide roughly (Intel/AMD chipsets, features, expansion capabilities
>> etc.) on what motherboard you want and compare reviews of it...
>
>I'm reading that ASUS and Gigabyte are the way to go for reliability.

Not in my country; I've seen waaay too many Asus mobo's died mysteriously, with
or without fanfare.

Then again, Asus might've specifically targeted lower-quality mobo's for my
country *sigh*

But I have heard nothing but praise re: Gigabyte mobo's.

>> I know others swear by Nvidia graphics but personally I will not touch
>> them (not for chipsets either due to lackluster/no open driver linux
>> support)... it's AMD (formerly ATI) for me (just don't buy the latest,
>> greatest unless you want to wait for open driver support, even though
>
>Yeah I'm a little worried about that with the motherboard.  If
>necessary I can keep limping along with my current motherboard while I
>wait for drivers for the new one.

Or, don't aim for the moon, and just buy last quarter's best (or 2nd best)
graphics card :)

Unless you want to play a 60fps 3D-enabled game on a 1080p display, I think
yesteryear's best cards are already A-OK.

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~