On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>

>>> It works as long as I don't open Firefox.  If I open Firefox, poof!!  No
>>> more trapped smoke.  lol
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>

>> So I had suggested running it in gdb and someone else suggested
>> running it in strace. Did you have a chance to try either of those?
>>
>> Not sure how much info you'll get from either but might be worth a try.
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> I don't know what gdb is.  If my machine locks up, I won't be able to see
> what strace does.  I'm not sure that will help.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

gdb is the GNU Debugger. As for the usability of strace in your case,
if you can see the last few calls before the lock-up occurs, it could
help narrow things down a bit. Also, if you SSH into the machine and
run firefox through strace via that (drawing to the machine's local
screen, not the SSH client's), you will have anything it can give in a
workable form, even after the system hangs. You might also test
whether it crashes while running Firefox via SSH and drawing to a
different machine, which (if it does) would allow you to sit on a real
terminal on the main system and see the kernel's output in the instant
of the crash or (if it doesn't) would narrow it down to X being a key
factor.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy