On Wednesday 20 July 2011 14:16:06 Grant Edwards did opine thusly:
> On 2011-07-20, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Every time after you emerge xorg you're meant to remerge its
> > drivers (evdev being one of them).  Usually there is some elog
> > message telling you to run
> >
> > qfile to find what is need to be reinstalled:
> >   qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
>
> I've always wondered why, if portage knows that has to be done,
> can't portage just go ahead and do it?

Actually not. Portage doesn't know it has to be done, the ebuild dev
knows and stuck a literal message in one of the post_() functions.

To do what you mention, the driver would have to depend on xorg, but
in fact xorg-server depends on the xorg-drivers meta package, which in
turn depends on the drivers defined in USE.

In theory, one could use PDEPEND I suppose, but I also suspect that
would cause circular dependencies. The other option is to put an
emerge call in pkg_postinst() but that would be heavily frowned upon
as

- it's a highly unusual solution and just an ugly hack
- it wreaks the dep graph that emerge generates
- stuff will get emerged that isn't visible at the beginning
- portage can't definitively tell you before you start that the
drivers will be remerged

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com