On Wednesday 20 Jul 2011 15:16:06 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2011-07-20, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Every time after you emerge xorg you're meant to remerge its drivers
> > (evdev being one of them).  Usually there is some elog message telling
> > you to run
> >
> > qfile to find what is need to be reinstalled:
> >   qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
>
> I've always wondered why, if portage knows that has to be done, can't
> portage just go ahead and do it?

Because as a gentoo user you may have some very good reason NOT to do it (i.e.
you want to only emerge certain drivers and not others, unmask and emerge
particular versions, etc.)

Now portage could offer the choice of doing it (I have found these drivers,
would sir/madam like me to remerge them?) but it could confuse newbies or halt
emerges when run on a cron job.
--
Regards,
Mick