Albert Hopkins wrote:

On Saturday, July 23 at 05:33 (-0500), Dale said:

But sometimes major changes can fix things and do things completely
different which can lead to other issues being fixed.  Seamonkey did
the
same when they did their major redo.

Bad thing is, the kernel panics are at it again.  I had a little bit
of
time to download a video or two but here we go again.

Back to the normal reboots I guess.  :-(

Yeah but typically.. or maybe my experience is completely different than
most, but typically major releases center on new features and not fixing
bugs, and major releases tend to create a whole lot more new bugs than
fixes (which is why many people hold out for for<major_release>.1) :P

Anyway, here's something... did you actually report a bug?  If a tree
falls in the forest...

I haven't filed a bug because at the moment we have not been able to figure out exactly what is causing it. I know it is a kernel panic but not what part. Seamonkey and Firefox works until I start to download something then there is a kernel panic. While is causes a panic with Seamonkey or Firrefox, emerge can download for hours with not one problem. Is it a network card driver or something else? We don't know. I just keep trying different things until I can find something that works then hopefully can figure out what changed.

I'm thinking about going back to the oldest kernel I can. The oldest I have tried is 2.6.38 but .32 is still in the tree.

There is a whole thread, or two, on this tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)