Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Sunday 24 July 2011 19:13:27 Dale wrote:

I'm not sure it is the nic tho.  It downloads just fine when emerge is
fetching files.  I'm not saying it isn't tho.  I really don't know what
it is.  I'm also keeping in mind that the nic is built onto my mobo.  I
have never had good luck with a built in nic.  On my old rig, it never
worked right.  That's why it has cards in it too.
I had a nasty experience with a network device a few months ago. It wasn't a
NIC this time but a WAP, which when it went faulty managed to wipe out half
of the USB disk to which I was backing up the machine the WAP was connected
to. Much repeated backing-up of several boxes was required to re-establish
the status quo.

Just goes to show that hardware failures can do some weird things.

(Pick the bones out of that, Volker. Preferably without gratuitous
offensiveness.)

My old rig gave me some weird errors too. I can't recall what they were tho. I'm sure it is on the forums somewhere around mid to late 2003 or 2004 if I recall. I don't think I had that old rig to long when it went to acting all funny and such.

Yep, hardware can be weird. I don't think mine is memory or anything but I'm only 99% sure. I'm leaving myself 1% to crawl out if needed. lol I can't say it isn't anything right now since I don't know what it is. That's the thing about puters, you can't rule out anything unless you can replace it and the problem goes away. Unfortunately I can't do that with CPU, ram and mobo or even the video card. Then again, I do have two ATI video cards. I'm to chicken to try them tho. I have no idea how to get a ATI card working.

I'm going to check into this nic tho. I used to have a couple extras around here somewhere.

Dale

:-)  :-)