On Friday 19 August 2011, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 08/18/2011 10:08 PM, András Csányi wrote:
> > On 18 August 2011 18:59,<fra...@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> Hi, guys
> >>
> >> It is a shame, I know, but after several years using Gentoo, it is
> >> the first time I try to build a kernel without "genkernel".
> >>
> >> And now I can't boot to that new kernel, it does not find (and
> >> really do not have a) /dev/sda* root partition ("real-root");
> >> during the boot it stops, complaining about that, gives me the
> >> option to get a shell, from which I am able to see that there is
> >> no /dev/sda* .
> >>
> >> I have included everything SATA, so it looks like that is not a
> >> kernel problem, but a initramfs issue, I guess.
> >>
> >> What am I missing?
> >
> > Why have you choose this way? I mean, non-genkernel way.
>
> genkernel generates generic (bloated) kernels.

This is a generalization, not entirely true:

genkernel --no-clean --no-mrproper --kerneldir=blabla all

With the above command, for example, you can provide your own .config
and genkernel will do exactly as you wish.

Cheers
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 3.0.0-gentoo, Compiled #3 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 5 21:02:22
CEST 2011