On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>>
>> I htink almost everyone understand this. Regards.
>
> I think you are one of *very* few that understands this.
>
> This reminds me of a old joke.  One in four people have a mental issue.
>  Check three friends and if they are OK, you are it.  Again, it is a joke
> but my point is, very few people are liking this.  That alone should say a
> lot.

I know, but Open Source has never been a democracy. It is a
meritocracy. No matter how many get upset by a change, the opinions
that matter are from those writing the code.

> This is a very few people forcing a change that no one wants.

That's a contradiction, isn't it? The "few people" forcing the change
want it, I hope.

> You seem to fail to understand that.

I don't agree with the "few people" and the "no one wants" parts. I
understand that this change is upseting some people, but I don't think
you (nor I) can say for sure if it's even a majority of Gentoo users,
and even if it were, again, Open Source is not a democracy.

> If this "new way" of doing things causes
> someones server to be hacked, I would be looking for that dev that started
> this mess.  I don't run some large server but some on here do and this is
> important as it gets.

If you don't trust this change, you can always change distro/OS (Alan
even recommended it).

> Personally, if I'm going to have to start running my Gentoo box like a
> binary based distro, I may as well use a binary based distro.  If others
> feel like I do, then Gentoo may start losing users.  I got away from
> Mandrake for reasons such as this.

That's your prerrogative. And that's why I'm saying my word in the
list: I'm pretty sure many users in the list (which are not all the
Gentoo users) are not really upset with this change. The other POV has
to be heard.

> A init* is just one more thing to break.
>  If you been on this list long enough, you know my record for finding things
> that are really crappy.  One that comes to mind is hal.  I can assure you I
> can find other examples.  People complained about hal and the dev didn't
> seem to listen until it really hit the fan.  I think the replacement was
> made by the same dev but maybe after listening a bit he found where he could
> improve things.  I wish the person behind this could do the same before he
> breaks a lot of stuff.  By the way, as Alan and others can point out, I
> never got hal to work on my system.  It was nothing fancy either.  At the
> time it was a Abit NF7 mobo with IDE drives and a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.
>  If a package can't work right on something as basic as that, it has little
> hope of anything fancy for sure.

I agree with HAL being a failed experiment: but I think we had to try
it before discarding the idea. Maybe the crap will also hit the fan
with this: I don't know (lost my crystal ball, sorry). But I really
don't believe it, and I have some experience with Linux and Unix and
this kind of stuff. Maybe I'm wrong of course.

> I'm going back to my garden.  You have fun promoting this mess that is being
> created.  You seem to enjoy it a lot.

I'm not promoting anything. Just want to get into the record that some
users don't mind this change, and some of us even welcome it.

The discussion I think has been interesting and civil. I do enjoy it.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México