Am Freitag, 9. September 2011, 10:06:21 schrieb Nicolas Sebrecht:
> The 09/09/11, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 8. September 2011, 23:44:41 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> > > A big problem will be that the package manager cannot easily
> > > maintain
> > > that "phase 1" code as it's under another mount point. Doing so
> > > would
> > > require the package manager to bind-mount / somewhere and
> > > copy updated binaries of essential packages there as well as into
> > > the
> > > real /usr. Not an insurmountable problem, it just requires changes
> > > all affected packages, and well within the capabilities of distros.
> >
> > Couldn't whatever mounts /usr bind-mount this "hidden" /usr somewhere
> > (where, I think, could be a good question here) before mounting the
> > real one? Then it would be visible even after the real /usr is mounted.
>
> So, you're asking if it's smart to use yet another path (hidden once
> finished to properly boot) to store what is currently stored in /bin and
> /sbin...
> Remember: the only reason why /bin and /sbin exist is to have tools
> available during boot time to mount /usr.

The question arose, when Canek mentioned bluetoothd, that udev seems to need
in some cases. If bluetoothd doesn't quite fit to /bin or /sbin (I tend to
agree here), but is needed before /usr is mounted, then it has to be put
*somewhere*. I don't say, that this is the way to go. Only searching for
alternatives to a forced initramfs.

Regards,
Michael