Joost Roeleveld writes:

> What about the following as a gentoo-solution:
>
> As long as filesystem-support for /usr is in the kernel, why can't
> "/usr" be mounted right after "/"?
>
> Eg. instead of worrying with an init*, why not edit the boot-scripts to
> have "/usr" mounted before udev and colleagues start?
>
> mount is still in /bin
> fstab is still in /etc
> Both should be available during boot.

But there are no /dev/sd* entries yet for the device /usr is on. That's
what udev is for in the first place, creating them.

We could add those devices manually, like the essential /dev/console
and /dev/null that also have to be there before udev kicks in. Might be
simpler than creating the initramfs thing. But probably only with real
disk partitions. For LVM, many more devices will be necessary, and I
don't creating them all by hand might not be so easy.

When udev does so many things these days, couldn't udev itself mount
the /usr partition, and then continue with the rules
in /etc/udev/rules.d/?

But I really think that either udev should just not depend on stuff
in /usr, or consist of two stages, one for the essential device nodes,
and one that is run later, after /usr is mounted, dealing with stuff
in /etc/udev/rules.d. Which will not solve the problems with a bluetooth
keyboard, though. But for most of us it might work.

Just thinking,

        Wonko