Hi Alan,

On Tuesday, 13. September 2011 14:40:36 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 07:50:13PM +0200, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > On Monday, 12. September 2011 17:17:37 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Hi, Michael.

> > > Well, I'm a hacker.  udev is free source, therefore fair game.  I
> > > don't
> > > intend to put up with this nonsense without a fight.  As far as I
> > > can
> > > make out, this is just one guy, Kay Sievers, who's on a power trip.
> > > Are there any indications at all that he actually talked to anybody
> > > in the wide world before making such a far reaching decision?
> > > On my current system, udev (164-r2) works without an earlily loaded
> > > /usr. Seemingly, later versions don't.  That was why I was asking
> > > for somebody to identify one of these later versions for me.
> >
> > it works for you, because your udev-rules need nothing from /usr/*
> > It's *not* udev requiring /usr, it's the scripts triggered by the rules.
>
> Ah.  OK.  Maybe I've misunderstood the whole thing.  Could it be that
> there's no explicit requirement for early mounting of /usr, providing one
> has the discipline to keep everything needed for booting in the /
> partition?

I think so. But you will run an unsupported config afaict. Another point is,
that baselayout might change, iff gentoo follows fedora. Afaik fedora wants
/bin, /sbin and /lib to be symlinks to /usr/*  and keep them only for "legacy
reasons".

> > > Maybe, maybe not.
> >
> > No, I wrote "for sure", because I *know* this.
>
> Sorry about that.

No problem. Sorry for the tone, too. Sounded ruder than it was meant.

Best,
Michael