Hi, Michael.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 04:55:15PM +0200, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> Hi Alan,

> On Tuesday, 13. September 2011 14:40:36 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 07:50:13PM +0200, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

> > Ah.  OK.  Maybe I've misunderstood the whole thing.  Could it be that
> > there's no explicit requirement for early mounting of /usr, providing one
> > has the discipline to keep everything needed for booting in the /
> > partition?

> I think so. But you will run an unsupported config afaict. Another point is,
> that baselayout might change, iff gentoo follows fedora. Afaik fedora wants
> /bin, /sbin and /lib to be symlinks to /usr/*  and keep them only for "legacy
> reasons".

If the reaction of people in this mailing list is anything to go by,
Gentoo won't be following Fedora.

Yes, that one developer seems to want to empty /bin and /sbin.  He wants
to abolish single user mode.  Whether that's official policy at Fedora
remains to be seen.  Still, there's one program that can't be moved, and
that's /sbin/init.  :-)  (We'll see if the kernel hackers are willing to
make it a compile time option to use /usr/sbin/init instead.  I doubt it,
somehow.)

By the way are there any Gentoo documents which document the process of
creating an initramfs?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).