On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM, David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:35:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote about Re: Really
> OT now (Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr):
>
>> It occurred to me that having a decent C and C++ editing environment
>> might ease some of my of the spoilage I've experienced in Visual
>> Studio for C++. I'll be checking it out. It'll mean learning emacs,
>> though...
>
> If you like Visual Studio, try Geany or KDevelop.  The former is a Gtk+
> program, so runs natively under GNOME, Xfce and LXDE, while the latter
> is a Qt suite that runs natively under KDE.  Both are *way* slicker
> than Emacs or vim, but do require a graphical desktop. [Both vim and
> Emacs can run in a text console.]

I'm not touching KDE again for a while. I got nailed pretty bad with a
NVidia/Konsole/KWin, and I really wasn't using much of KDE.

That said, I might poke KDevelop again; I haven't poked it in years.
Geany is new since I last dug around.

I do like text environments, though.

> You might also start reading comp.os.linux.development.apps on Usenet,
> if you don't already do so.

Keeping up with this list is hard enough! But, thanks. :)

--
:wq