On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
<SNIP>
> If you want to rebuild it totally, why not go the simpler route of
> installing 'soft appliances' like FreeNAS, OpenFiler, or Nexenta?
>
> Rgds,

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about any of these.

Some comments:

1) The machine is already running Gentoo and is reasonably up to date.
(Within 30 days or so) I didn't want to start from scratch but rather
just wanted to remove a couple of drives which don't support system
needs, throw a couple of 1TB hard drives and hopefully I'm up and
running.

2) As for the three suggestions, and at a glance they all look very
capable of supporting my limited needs, I really don't want to learn
to maintain a server running different tools. (I.e. - anything not
portage)

I sure like the look of the FreeNAS pages though.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark