On Oct 5, 2011 12:10 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > If you want to rebuild it totally, why not go the simpler route of
> > installing 'soft appliances' like FreeNAS, OpenFiler, or Nexenta?
> >
> > Rgds,
> >

> Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about any of these.
>
> Some comments:
>
> 1) The machine is already running Gentoo and is reasonably up to date.
> (Within 30 days or so) I didn't want to start from scratch but rather
> just wanted to remove a couple of drives which don't support system
> needs, throw a couple of 1TB hard drives and hopefully I'm up and
> running.
>
> 2) As for the three suggestions, and at a glance they all look very
> capable of supporting my limited needs, I really don't want to learn
> to maintain a server running different tools. (I.e. - anything not
> portage)
>
> I sure like the look of the FreeNAS pages though.

TBH, I have no experience with either FreeNAS or Nexenta, but people I know
in other fora swear by them.

As to OpenFiler, I've deployed it several times in my office, twice for
production. It's quite easy to manage, especially since it's update-able
from the webGUI.

There *is* a learning curve, though. Exposing OpenFiler to act as a NAS box
that's accessible from Windows has a few gotchas, but after reading some
wikis, I got it up and running beautifully.

Rgds,