On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:04:01 -0500
Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 2012-01-11 9:16 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:26:07 -0500
> > Tanstaafl<tansta...@libertytrek.org>  wrote:
> >> I couldn't live without Passwordmaker (Firefox Addon), with it, I
> >> can have as strong and random passwords as I want on every site,
> >> it auto fills the username/password for me (if it is a web login
> >> page), but doesn't store any password anywhere...
>
> > Of course it stores the password somewhere. How else could it log
> > you in next time? It isn't magic, it retrieves the password from
> > somewhere.
>
> Nope, it generates it on the fly every time. It uses the current URL
> (or if you create a custom account for that URL, whatever you tell it
> to use), the username (if supplied), and a few other URL unique
> attributes to compute it, and if you create a custom account, it
> offers many other options...
>
> I highly recommend it... it does have a small learning curve, but the
> website will teach you most of what you need to know (I even authored
> a lot of the wiki)...
>
> http://passwordmaker.org/

I haven't read the site yet, but just on the basis of your description,
all I'm seeing is a teeny-weeny amount of entropy leading to
passwords that are very easy for computers to compute.

The algorithm is probably known and there can't be that many unique
attributes to a URL, leading to a very small pool of random data.

In fact, I see this as a distinct possibility:
http://xkcd.com/936/

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Alan McKinnnon