On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:07:41 -0500
Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 2012-01-11 3:56 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:04:01 -0500
> > Tanstaafl<tansta...@libertytrek.org>  wrote:
> >> http://passwordmaker.org/
> >>

> > I haven't read the site yet, but just on the basis of your
> > description, all I'm seeing is a teeny-weeny amount of entropy
> > leading to passwords that are very easy for computers to compute.
> >
> > The algorithm is probably known and there can't be that many unique
> > attributes to a URL, leading to a very small pool of random data.
> >
> > In fact, I see this as a distinct possibility:
> > http://xkcd.com/936/
> >
> > Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> You are wrong, but you'll need to read the site to learn why...

The site doesn't say much. It has one page, no internal links (quite a
few external ones) and a single link to an image.

But still, one can infer some of the methods of operation. There's a
master password and a few bits of easily guessable[1] entropy in the
additional data the user can configure.

It has one weakness that reduces it back to the same password being
re-used. And that is that there is a single master password. An
attacker would simply need to acquire that using various nefarious
means (shoulder surfing, social engineering, hosepipe decryption) and
suddenly you are wide open[2].

I don't see that it increases cryptographic security by very much (it
does by a little) but it will increase real-life effective security by
a lot. It removes most of the threat from shoulder-surfing and
StickyNoteSyndrome (much like ssh agents do too). In a corporate
environment[3], that is the major threat we face, the onbe that keeps
me awake at night, the one ignored by all security auditors and the one
understood by a mere three people in the company... :-(

[1] Easily guessable by a computer
[2] I have my paranoia hat on currently
[3] for example, mine

--