On 12.01.2012 00:09, Mike Edenfield wrote:
> From: Alan McKinnon [mailto:alan.mckin...@gmail.com] Sent:
> Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:48 PM
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:08:04 -0500 Michael Mol
>> <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm seriously unconvinced that concatenating words
>>> significantly increases the difficulty of the problem. Just as
>>> a mentalist will presume you're thinking about '7', your
>>> average demographic would probably draw from a small pool of
>>> source words, even latching on to catchphrases and other memes.
>>> You're likely to see "steamingmonkeypile", "nyanyanyan",
>>> "dontsaycandleja-" and "hasturhasturhast-" used more than once,
>>> for example. I'd give a better list of likely results, but I
>>> don't want to run too far afoul of good taste in public
>>> posting. :)
>>
>> I agree. Longer pass{words,phrases} only increases the difficulty
>> of the problem, but not significantly so.
>
> After I read the aforementioned xkcd comic, my main question was
> how he defined the various bits of entropy for each "thing" done to
> a password. That seemed to be a crucial determining factor in why
> the "common words" password appeared so much harder than the "goofy
> gibberish" one. Some seemed more obvious to me than others.
>
> I'm also curious, using the latest modern password-cracking
> techniques, if his assessment really is accurate. As in, which of
> the following two passwords would take longer to crack:
>
> #purpl3.R$!n#
>
> dovesymbolcarprince
>
> --K

Since both passwords are of nearly same length, the argument from the
comic is not fulfilled: if you would use
armageddonholycowencryptionworkshop you would have a relatively easy
to remember, long password.

Password length is far more important than using special characters... [1]

[1]
http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/password-size-does-matter-531