Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:08:04 -0500
Michael Mol<mike...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I'm seriously unconvinced that concatenating words significantly
increases the difficulty of the problem. Just as a mentalist will
presume you're thinking about '7', your average demographic would
probably draw from a small pool of source words, even latching on to
catchphrases and other memes. You're likely to see
"steamingmonkeypile", "nyanyanyan", "dontsaycandleja-" and
"hasturhasturhast-" used more than once, for example. I'd give a
better list of likely results, but I don't want to run too far afoul
of good taste in public posting. :)
I agree. Longer pass{words,phrases} only increases the difficulty of
the problem, but not significantly so.

I use those online password strength testers. I don't use the exact characters tho. I replace a character with a similar one. I may replace the letter A with the letter Z. I leave cases the same tho since they make a difference. I at least try to get them to 100% and for sites like my bank, I add a few more weird characters for good measure.

The password I use for my banks has both upper and lower case, a few numbers and some of the thingys above the numbers on the top row. You know, !@#$%^&*(). Mine is reasonably long but it is not based on anything related to me. It's just sort of a random thing that I can remember pretty well but HATE to type in. That's why I like Lastpass. It fills them in for me so that I can have a really nice strong password but I don't have to type it in each time.

On a security related question. Why does so many people have their facebook accounts and other similar sites hacked? Do hackers just guess their passwords or do they break into the websites? I have facebook, myspace, google+ and a couple others and have had them for years. I have never had mine hacked into, at least not yet. I'm just curious. Is it a windoze thing? lol

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"