On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 08:23:33AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote

> That depends on who are authorized to access the boxen via SSH. In my case,
> only the IT Division is authorized to access them via SSH, so the "real
> sysadmin" in me (g) decides it is much easier to shift the port rather than
> implementing esoteric hardening stuffs ;-)
>
> Plus, I get the benefit of ridiculing any IT guy/gal who managed to get
> him-/herself locked out (thanks to the auto-blacklist) B-)

  The opposite of auto-blacklisting is port-knocking.  Think of it as
auto-unblacklisting, where the world is blacklisted by default.  See...

http://www.hostsvault.com/blog/howto-protect-services-like-ssh-against-brute-force-using-only-iptables-port-knocking/

  The idea is that your external service is blocked to everybody by
default.  When an external IP address "knocks" in sequence on the right
3 ports (specified in iptables), it is then allowed a few seconds to
establish a connection (ssh/ftp/whatever).

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>