On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 04:29:48PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote

> Then my hardware broke, and I got new one...

  I had ***EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM ON A FRESH INSTALL***.  In My case
it was a 4+ year old Dell with onboard Intel GPU that was having
problems playing NHL Gamecenter Live streams at the slowest speed.  I
solved the problem and sped up everything by doing...
1) emerge system
2) emerge world
3) rebuild the kernel and reboot

  A fresh install will have the stage 3 binaries built with
lowest-common-denominator x86 or amd64 code (depending if you chose 32
or 64 bit install).  This is necessary in order to allow the install
code to run on all CPUs with the target platform.  The downside is that
you lose all the optimisations that make Gentoo scream.  Rebuilding the
install as described above builds optimized (i.e. faster) binaries.  My
CFLAGS line in /etc/make.conf is...

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

  Before rebuilding your system, go over your USE flags to make sure
you've got the maximum optimization.  To find out what your CPU
supports, execute the command

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | head -1

  This will define the limits what your system can support.  For
instance, mplayer can use the following flags...

waltdnes@d530 ~ $ emerge -pv mplayer

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1  USE="X a52 alsa ass
dga encode gif jpeg mmx mmxext mng mp3 opengl png quicktime real rtmp sse sse2
ssse3 theora truetype win32codecs x264 xv xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib
(-altivec) -amr (-aqua) -bidi -bindist -bl -bluray -bs2b -cddb -cdio
-cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cpuopts -debug -dirac -directfb -doc -dts -dv
-dvb -dvd -dvdnav (-dxr3) -enca (-esd) -faac -faad -fbcon -ftp -ggi -gsm -iconv
-ipv6 -jack -joystick -jpeg2k -ladspa -libcaca -libmpeg2 -lirc -live -lzo -mad
-md5sum -mpg123 -nas -network -nut -openal -osdmenu -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr
-radio -rar -rtc -samba -schroedinger -sdl -shm -speex -tga -toolame -tremor
-twolame -unicode -v4l -vdpau -vidix -vorbis -vpx -xanim -xinerama
-xscreensaver -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB

  Your CPU will obviously support a different set of USE flags than
mine.  Check the files /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc for a list of
global flags and /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc for
package-specific flags.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>