Canek Peláez Valdés writes:

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org>
> wrote:

> > I'm using the new udev with a separate /usr partition.
>
> How do you create your initramfs? The new udev (>= 182, I believe)
> requires the use of an initramfs if you have a separated /usr.

I'm using gekernel.

> > It was encrypted,
> > and it seems there is no solution yet for this.
>
> dracut has two modules, crypt and crypt-gpg, that maybe do what you are
> needing.

Maybe, I did not (yet?) try dracut.

> > so I moved it over to an
> > unencrypted volume - no problem, /usr is one partition where
> > encryption does not make that much sense anyway. Works, but after an
> > unclean shutdown (reading files in /proc/<pid>/ was not a good
> > idea) /usr wants to be fsck'ed. But it is already mounted at that
> > stage.
>
> That's the reason you need an initramfs.
>
> > The boot process just continues, but I wonder what one should do to
> > make the fsck run. Except for using a live cd.
>
> With an initramfs.

Not with mine :)  Maybe I'll give dracut a try. It seems to be a nice
utility, and I was about to try it, but then I read about Dale's problems
and decided to stay with genkernel for a while.

> > Maybe I should just enlarge my root partition and move /usr there, at
> > least this would avoid all the trouble. But I'm used to many separate
> > partitions, and like it that way.
>
> You can have every directory under / on a different partition (even
> /etc), if you use an initramfs.

Which I do, every partition (including /) is on LVM, and except
for /usr, /usr/src and portage stuff, all is encrypted. But maybe it's
time to drop some partitions, and maybe include at least /usr and /tmp in
the root partition. /usr would be encrypted again then, but the overhead
seems to be small, so why not.

        Wonko