Neil Bothwick writes:

> On Sun, 13 May 2012 17:11:55 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
>
> > # copy data over
> > rsync -ax /usr /tmp/bindroot/
>
> It would be wise to remount /usr read-only before doing this.

Yes, as written a few lines above what you quoted :)

> > No need for downtime except for the reboot, I guess I cannot
> > unmount /usr otherwise.
>
> You could drop to single user mode to unmount /usr, but as that involves
> stopping and restarting just about every service, it is just as
> convenient to reboot...

Probably much much more convenient. I even guess the downtime of any
service would actually be less.

> unless you are aiming for some sort of uptime record.

The record is about 420 days, and it will last for a while. So rebooting
every few weeks is okay :)  But it's cool that I _could_ do this without
a reboot.

        Wonko