Jarry wrote:
> On 26-May-12 22:01, Dale wrote:
>> Jarry wrote:
>>>
>>> after updating baselayout from 2.0.3 to 2.1-r1 /run is mounted
>>> as tmpfs. But I can not find any mount-option for controlling
>>> how much memory is (or could be) used for it.
>>>
>>> Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
>>> tmpfs            8223848     224   8223624   1% /run
>>>
>>> I know it does not use 8GB right now, yet I'd like to reduce
>>> it to some lower value, not half of my physical memory.
>>> How can I do it? Can I simply add line in fstab like:
>>>
>>> none /run tmpfs size=128m 0 0         ???
>>>
>>> Jarry
>>
>> Holy smoke !  Mine is doing the same thing.
>> tmpfs                   7.9G  260K  7.9G   1% /run
>>
>> But I also have this:
>> tmpfs                   7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /var/tmp/portage
>>
>> So, between those two, I could run out of ram since I have 16Gbs.
>>
>> There is now TWO people that needs a answer to this question.  Why does
>> it need that much anyway?  It looks to me like a few hundred Mbs, like
>> Jarry posted, would be plenty.  Jeepers creepers.  lol
>>
>> Dale
>
> I suppose default size for tmpfs is half of physical memory,
> if it is not configured somewhere else.
>
> BTW, is there any way to turn this great feature off?
> What is it good for? I do not see any advantage in having
> /run on tmpfs...
>
> Jarry

I had no idea it was doing this either until your post.  I got the same
questions as you do.  Why is it there?  Why so much is allocated to it?
 Where can we change the settings for this questionable "feature"?

I'm hoping someone will come along and answer both our questions.  I'm
really hoping for a place we can change the settings.  I don't mind it
being there so much if it is useful.   I would like to know its purpose
tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!