Am 26.05.2012 22:28, schrieb Dale:
> Jarry wrote:

>>> Holy smoke !  Mine is doing the same thing.
>>> tmpfs                   7.9G  260K  7.9G   1% /run
>>>
>>> But I also have this:
>>> tmpfs                   7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /var/tmp/portage
>>>
>>> So, between those two, I could run out of ram since I have 16Gbs.
>>>
>>> There is now TWO people that needs a answer to this question.  Why does
>>> it need that much anyway?  It looks to me like a few hundred Mbs, like
>>> Jarry posted, would be plenty.  Jeepers creepers.  lol
>>>
>>> Dale
>>
>> I suppose default size for tmpfs is half of physical memory,
>> if it is not configured somewhere else.
>>
>> BTW, is there any way to turn this great feature off?
>> What is it good for? I do not see any advantage in having
>> /run on tmpfs...
>>
>> Jarry
>

> I had no idea it was doing this either until your post.  I got the same
> questions as you do.  Why is it there?  Why so much is allocated to it?
>  Where can we change the settings for this questionable "feature"?
>
> I'm hoping someone will come along and answer both our questions.  I'm
> really hoping for a place we can change the settings.  I don't mind it
> being there so much if it is useful.   I would like to know its purpose
> tho.

As Michael Mol already said, tmpfs for the run dir is not a bad thing,
it, it does not eat all your ram :)
I however have a different question: Why do we need a new /run when we
already have /var/run. There's no mention of /run in the FHS either.
I only see udev stuff under /run - So it's another crazy udev thing? :)