On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
>> grub 2.00 has been released!
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
>>

> I wasn't expecting it to be that soon.  I guess it will hit the tree
> pretty soon then.  Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
> of upgrading or staying with the old.  I'm thinking about using the new
> one pretty soon.  Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
> init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to.  :/
>
> 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far.  1/2 way down and all is good
> so far.  3/4 way down and all is good so far.  I'm worried about that
> sudden stop now.  O_O
>
> Dale

*shuffles his feet*

I've started using genkernel. Once I discovered I can specify my own
kernel configuration, it got a lot less ugly to me. The initramfs
thing hasn't gotten in my way...yet. And it helped me recover an
install process once so far, so I can't complain _to_ much. My only
complaint thus far is its terrible error reporting. And since I'm
using an initramfs, I went ahead and dropped my / on top of a raid5
volume.

But even before I started using genkernel...grub2 sounded like a good
thing. One of the previous threads in here described how you assemble
its configuration, and it made a *lot* of sense, from an architectural
standpoint.

--
:wq