On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Peter Humphrey
<pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2012 22:22:50 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> I believe that's the beauty of options like CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. If
>> you leave the machine running crunching numbers (of whatever), with
>> USB_SUSPEND the devices not used (say, the backup disk you transfer
>> to the results of your crunching every weekend) can be suspended,
>> saving a little bit of power.
>
> No, I don't need that, having no superfluous devices connected. My weekly
> backup is of the entire system to an external USB disk. Not from the
> running system; I reboot to a mini system (which I call a rescue system)
> each Sunday morning and backup the entire system to USB disk. So far I
> haven't needed to recover more than a small section of the backup.
>
>> You don't leave the monitor turned on and disable the power off
>> features of it, right?
>
> I resent the kernel's insistence on deciding when my monitor should be
> switched off. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself, thank you very
> much.

Well, if that's the way you feel, you obviously don't use (nor need)
udisks, and take care of everything that goes on with your machine,
like when to flush I/O or when to move memory pages to swap.

Me? I'm lazy; the more my OS takes trivial decisions from me, the more
time I have to do interesting stuff and get actual work done. That's
why I use Linux/systemd/PulseAudio/bluez/GNOME; the decisions they
take are usually the smart ones (from my point of view).

But that's just me.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés