On Monday 17 September 2012 22:22:50 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> I believe that's the beauty of options like CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. If
> you leave the machine running crunching numbers (of whatever), with
> USB_SUSPEND the devices not used (say, the backup disk you transfer
> to the results of your crunching every weekend) can be suspended,
> saving a little bit of power.

No, I don't need that, having no superfluous devices connected. My weekly
backup is of the entire system to an external USB disk. Not from the
running system; I reboot to a mini system (which I call a rescue system)
each Sunday morning and backup the entire system to USB disk. So far I
haven't needed to recover more than a small section of the backup.

> You don't leave the monitor turned on and disable the power off
> features of it, right?

I resent the kernel's insistence on deciding when my monitor should be
switched off. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself, thank you very
much.

--
Rgds
Peter