On 10/24/2012 04:31 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> Hi all,
> I did an "emerge -NuD world", it nearly finished, 2 or 3 big files to
> go, when I decided it was bed time. I killed the build and went to bed.
> This morning I can't now fire up Konsole, which I use as my terminal,
> XTerm or UXTerm.
>
>       In more detail, I get the Konsole window, the menu is there and I can
> open other tabs etc, but instead of the command prompt, I just get a
> small grey blob in the top left hand corner. Hitting return does not get
> me any carriage returns.

Same here on two different boxes, ~x86 and ~amd64. I'm on LXDE,
~/.lxde_errors reports that rxvt could not start due to lack of
pseudo-terminals. Issuing
   # mount /dev/pts
by hand temporarily solves the issue.

A related issue might be that during the boot I see that /dev/shm could
not be mounted. /dev/pts and /dev/shm are both mounted by
/etc/init.d/devfs, maybe that's failing?

The last emerge pulled in
  sys-apps/openrc-0.11.1
  sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-17-r1

but neither one has any bugs open relevant to this. Other ideas?

raf