On Friday 26 Oct 2012 09:35:44 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:27:05 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > > It is also stated in the emerge output that you need to add
> > > udev-mount to the sysinit runlevel.
> >
> > I saw that too, but did not add udev-mount to any runlevel.  I guess
> > this is a problem only if /usr is on another partition than root, or is
> > it going to hit me at a later update?
>
> I don't think that's it. I deliberately tried leaving it out to see what
> happened and I lost my Konsoles, but this box has a separate /usr mounted
> by initramfs. The udev-mount script mounts /dev, so the problem would
> have been caused by a missing device node.

I did not add udev-mount on 3 different machines, only one of which runs the
full KDE enchilada.  That's the one that seems to be experiencing some
problems lately - like printing causes the *printer* to crash.  Also
occasionally the desktop will not load sitting there at the last login icon of
kdm.

Perhaps I should add it and see if it makes a difference.
--
Regards,
Mick