On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 01:41:28PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote

> If people are using ethx names and getting away with it it is probably
> because they are loading the drivers as modules, or by chance the kernel
> is initializing the cards in the order they expect. There is no
> guarantee that will stay consistent.

  Question; will the following work reliably?  IANAD (I Am Not A
Developer) which is why I'm asking.

* on a machine with multiple network cards *ALL USING DIFFERENT DRIVERS*
* drivers are built as modules, not built-in into the kernel
* is it possible to set things up so that the network driver modules do
  not load automatically at bootup?
* have a script in /etc/local.d/ (or wherever) modprobe the drivers in
  the desired order

  I can see complications involving services that depend on net (e.g.
sshd), but in general, would it work reliably?  I.e. would the order of
initial modprobe'ing determine the device names (eth/0/1/2/etc)?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>