On 2013-04-06, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

> Ahhh... I think now I understand...
>
> So. Here's my summarization of the situation:
>
> * The ethX naming can change, i.e., the interfaces can get out of order
> * So, to fix this, udev decided to use the physical attachment points of
> the NIC in driving a persistent name, a name that will be identical across
> boots as long as there is no hardware change
> * In doing so, it also frees the 'traditional' ethX names to be used
> * If one wants, one can still 'rename' the NICs to the 'traditional' names
> using the 70-*.rules script

Wha?  I swear I was told that you could not reliably name the
iterfaces eth[0-n] using udev rules (which is what I've always done
without problems) because of "race conditions".  So I changed over to
net[0-n] on one machine, and was planning on doing so on the others
soon.

Can we still use udev rules to name interfaces eth[0-n] or not?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I've got an IDEA!!
                                  at               Why don't I STARE at you