On 2013-04-21 5:47 AM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
On Sat, April 20, 2013 17:38, Jarry wrote:
Problem of virtualized filesystem is not that it is virtualized,
but that it is located on datastore with more virtual systems,
all of them competing for the same i/o. *That* is the bottleneck.
If you switch reiser for xfs or btrfs, you might win (or loose)
a few %. If you optimize your esxi-datastore design, you might
win much more than what you have ever dreamed of.

If the underlying I/O is fast enough with low seek-times and high
throughput, that handling multiple VMs using a lot of disk I/O
simultaneously isn't a problem. Provided the Host has sufficient resources
(think memory and dedicated CPU) to handle it.

My host specs:

Dual AMD Opteron 4180 (6-core, 2.6Ghz)
128GB RAM
2x internal SSDs in RAID1 for Host OS
6x 300G SAS 6Gb 15k hard drives in RAID10 for Guest OSs

I allocate each Guest 1 virtual CPU with 2 cores

A decent hardware raid-controller with multiple disks running in a higher
raid version is cheaper then the same storage capacity in SSDs.

Yep... I toyed with the idea of SSDs, but the cost was considerably more as compared to even these SAS drives...