On 02/10/2013 14:04, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-10-01 2:48 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:15:49 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>> I'm interested in what the DEFAULTS are, ie, for a new/from scratch
>>> installation.
>
>> Why?
>
> While I'm not sure why it matters to you, it is because I have a policy
> that I never change the defaults for anything without a (good) reason.
>
>> If ever there was a distro for people that didn't want to use
>> defaults, Gentoo is it.
>
> True, but irrelevant to my question...
>
>>> Someone had to decide the defaults - so, what are they? Anyone?
>
>> I installed a VM a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure portage was still
>> in /usr. It's easy enough to tell, unpack a stage 3 and see where the
>> portage directory lives, but the handbook still refers to /usr/portage.
>
> So you're saying Alan was wrong about /var being the new default...
>
> Alan?

Yes, I looks like I was wrong all along.

You should still move portage to var though. Consider it a local fix to
a long-standing bug.

Incidentally, do you know why the tree is in /usr? Because FreeBSD ports
puts it there. Why did they do that? Because FreeBSD is not Linux; it is
derived from SysV, which puts home directories and all manner of other
things in /usr.

It's as simple as that.

--
Alan McKinnon