On 02.10.2013 16:28, Alan McKinnon wrote:
[ ... ]
You should still move portage to var though. Consider it a local fix to
a long-standing bug.

Incidentally, do you know why the tree is in /usr? Because FreeBSD ports
puts it there. Why did they do that? Because FreeBSD is not Linux; it is
derived from SysV, which puts home directories and all manner of other
things in /usr.

I apologize but I always thought that it's Linux that derives from AT&T SysV (1983), while FreeBSD derives from ... BSD (1978). How come then Linux uses SysV init and BSD does not? ;)

As to ports placement in FreeBSD, I have never seen any reason to do it the other way, IMHO /var should not be polluted with huge amounts of data which is not runtime-related and may occupy tens of gigs (in case of OOo or LO compilation), rather what I always do (in FreeBSD and in Gentoo) is just put all ports/portage on a separate partition with performance-optimized settings (striping, noatime etc). And I'd really seriously object to putting portage under /var if my opinion were to be considered... I also don't like the approach of putting into /var stuff like databases and other important data. /var is system-related runtime stuff, and data should always be separate. This also helps keep /var small and neat and apply to it a different backup policy than to data and portage.

It's as simple as that.

--
Best wishes,
Yuri K. Shatroff