On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 08:04:16 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:

> >> I'm interested in what the DEFAULTS are, ie, for a new/from scratch
> >> installation.
>
> > Why?
>
> While I'm not sure why it matters to you,

Just curious.

> it is because I have a policy
> that I never change the defaults for anything without a (good) reason.

That's reasonable, but I feel there's a good reason here - the default
location sucks.

> > I installed a VM a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure portage was still
> > in /usr. It's easy enough to tell, unpack a stage 3 and see where the
> > portage directory lives, but the handbook still refers
> > to /usr/portage.
>
> So you're saying Alan was wrong about /var being the new default...

Let's just say he appeared to misremember :)

--
Neil Bothwick

Some people are born mediocre, some people achieve mediocrity, and some
people have mediocrity thrust upon them.  - Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"