On 05/11/2013 17:21, Bruce Hill wrote:
> That is good practice, to say the least. Wish it would happen in Gentoo. But
> then again, may I ask, do you have as many devs and as many pkgs that must
> co-exist on so many differently configured machines?

Not even close :-)

What we lack in package diversity we more than make up for with
"business requirements"; where in this context "business requirements"
somehow gets redefined to "license to do whatever the blazes you feel
like doing sans oversight".

Gentoo has a strong undercore of people who have all the reasons in the
world to do it right, without bean-counter interference. That alone
probably accounts for the miracle that it all somehow still works.

> My take is something like that should be implemented in Gentoo. But then, I
> came from to Gentoo after 7+ years in Slackware. It happened your way there,
> also, because of a BDFL. We don't have such in Gentoo.
>
> The fact that 16939 packages in Gentoo mostly always work is amazing! Which
> requires a lot of hands on deck; and they don't all have the same skills.

Indeed. All the more reason for peer pressure to lean in the direction
of doing it right and closely looking at the full impact on the entire
big picture. I know I'm whinging a bit on this topic right now, but also
feel it's appropriate to metnion that Gentoo does have an admirable
success track record over the years.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com