On 2014-01-15 9:11 PM, Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:
These are all virtualized under ESXi now so I did some reconfiguration
and decided to add open-vm-tools for shutdown support through the host.
All items for vmware are built into the kernel, and the VMs are working
as they should.

Well, except for starting vmware-tools:

vmsvc[1297]: [ warning] [GLib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance

vmsvc[1297]: [critical] [GLib-GObject] g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion
`G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

I've tried rebuilding glib but no luck. I haven't tried changing the USE
flags on glib as of yet (just thought of that now, actually...) It
doesn't seem to affect the host shutdown (which is what I initially
wanted) but it probably shouldn't be crashing. I have a feeling it may
have something to do with VMCI.

Did you mean it doesn't seem to affect the GUEST shutdown?

And do the tools actually successfuly start after those warnings?

This is something I'm getting ready to tackle myself so am very interested...

My primary concern is that the host (ESXi 5.0) can safely shut down my gentoo guest. Obviously I too would prefer not to have any ugly warnings, unless they are indeed harmless.