On 16-Jan-14 22:17, Daniel Frey wrote:

Yes, the guest shutdown seems to still be working. I've tested both
manual (i.e. asking for a guest shutdown) and it works, and I've set up
my APC ups to shutdown the host and all VMs, again all working. If
you're interested in the howtos for the APC shutdown I think I have a
bookmark around somewhere.

BTW if all you want is safe shutdown, it can be done even without
vm-tools (which I personally do not like at all). In vSphere-client
I have "suspend" instead of shutdown (current state with memory
snapshot is saved), from ESXi you'd have to play a little with
/sbin/shutdown.sh script (i.e. with ssh/keys to log into all VM
and shut them down), and for power-interruption you can use NUT
(which I find better than apcupsd or PowerChute, because there is
native NUT-client for ESXi)...

apart from apcupsd
you can use NUT (which I find better, there is native ESXi-client).

Jarry