On Saturday 25 Jan 2014 17:22:27 Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 Jan 2014 10:42:52 Mike Gilbert wrote:

> > Maybe it'll become clear over time how to arrange the input to
> > grub2-mkconfig to achieve a similar result. Meanwhile I've removed the X
> > bit from it.
>
> grub-mkconfig is nice if you have relatively simple requirements. For
> anything fancy (like your setup) I prefer to just write it by hand.
>
> The manual has pretty good documentation on all of the commands and
> variables available; it's just a bit difficult to figure out which
> ones you need and in what order.
>
> > Looks like your suggestions "insmod all_video" and "terminal_output
> > gfxterm" do the trick. Now all I have to do is (create and?) specify a
> > character set that (a) can display all the required characters and (b)
> > is big enough to read. Something like the size of the character set in
> > legacy grub would do nicely.
>
> grub2 is able to load any font you like; you just need to convert it
> to "pf2" format using the grub-mkfont utility. You may need to enable
> the truetype use flag to get that installed.
>
> By default, it provides a font called "unifont", which is a little
> ugly but has very good unicode coverage. You can load it by adding
> this to your grub.cfg:
>
> loadfont unicode

Perhaps I'm getting older or just bored with change, but is there an
alternative to grub2 that has the simplicity of grub-legacy, for more complex
than your average Ubuntu-like user requirements?

I have used grub2 on some Ubuntu and Kubuntu installations which went sideways
on non-vanilla set ups.  I wasted some hours straightening them up and started
thinking nostalgically of grub-legacy which I still run on my gentoo systems.

Do I have any other option besides lilo which I left for grub many years ago?

--
Regards,
Mick