On Saturday 25 Jan 2014 19:32:16 James wrote:

> What we need is some "dumbed_down" documents for the over 50 crowd,
> because, like you, I'm tired of fixing things that were solved,
> decades ago.

 :-))

> Closely intertwined with grub2 issues are UUIDs, (U)EFI, fstab stratigies,
> gpt formating, drives over 2T and file systems; these new bios can
> can be issues to how these mechanisms interact. For now, I only use
> grub2 with all of these other things being of legacy in nature. My
> next goal is the add gpt formatting and BTRFS (which is rapidly stabalizing
> imho).  After all of that, I'll try some 4-gig (4+?) gig drives
> as seting those up most aggressively, is still a black-art, imho.
>
> PS, your not alone is frustration and less than ideal (er_shit)
> configuration experiences.....

There was some frustration when grub2 would complain when I tried to install
it in a partition boot record, rather than the MBR that *buntu wanted.  I do
understand though that we can't stay with BIOS for ever.  My new rig will have
UEFI and SSD because that's where the market it going, but it will definitely
*not* have MSWindows 8!

Thanks for the link below.  I see that there are some alternatives to GRUB and
ELILO which I will try out when the time comes.

--
Regards,
Mick